Think back to the last time you were at a party and had to make small talk with anyone, especially someone you didn’t know. Inevitably the question of “So what do you do?” comes up and folks then recite a version of who they work for and what they do. And while “normal” jobs commonly come up – teacher, doctor, truck driver, recruiter, lawyer, etc. – every once in a while someone drops a doozy that leaves you scratching your head.
Did you know Horse Exerciser is a job, or that you can make a good living as a Bingo Manager? Not only are these real jobs, but you’d probably be surprised at what they pay. Aaron Gouveia at Salary.com recently did some research into these odd jobs, sifting through more than 4,000 job titles and picking a few you might not think about that pay $50,000/year or more.
And, to add a bit of relevance to the Texas workforce system, following each is a count of those jobs we were able to find currently posted in WorkInTexas.com. And yes, in some cases we were surprised too.
- Horse Rider/Exerciser – avg. salary: $50,691 – 34 direct or related jobs
- Sommelier – avg. salary: $50,868 – 152 direct or related jobs
- Bereavement Coordinator – avg. salary: $52,328 – 1 job
- Childbirth Educator – avg. salary: $56,504 – 5 jobs
- Bingo Manager – avg. salary: $56,593 – 4 direct or related jobs
- Elevator Inspector – avg. salary: $59,495 – nothing specific to elevators
- Soil Conservationist – avg salary: $62,228 – 17 jobs
- Locomotive Engineer – avg salary: $63,620 – 2 jobs
- Clinical Ethicist – avg. salary: $66,966 – 3 direct or related jobs
- Prosthetist/Orthotist – avg. salary: – 2 jobs
- Enterostomal Therapist – avg. salary: $74,639 – 2 jobs